Dorvict is proactively reminding our employees of some helpful tips to stay safe while driving during the winter season and to ensure you have taken proper precautions within your home as well.
- Use extreme caution when traveling in your vehicle.
- If you become stuck in your vehicle due to dangerous weather conditions, remain inside and provide a signal to rescuers such as placing a brightly visible cloth in a window where it will be visible.
- Start the car once an hour and leave it running for 10 minutes. Keep the exhaust pipe clean so that fumes can escape
It’s extremely essential to have an emergency travel kit ready in your vehicle at all times, in the event of extreme weather. Kit contents should include:
- Blanket, Fully-charged cell phone (extra battery), Extra clothing – includes hats, gloves and boots, First aid kit
- Map or GPS, Bottled water, Ice scraper and/or snow brush, Flares, Extra windshield washer fluid, Battery booster cables
- Shovel, Candy or chocolate bar for energy, Paper towels, Matches, Flashlight and batteries, Bag of sand or salt.
- Make sure you brush off snow on your windshields (front and back), and on top of your vehicle as much as possible.
An emergency kit should also be kept inside the home as well in the event of power outages and should include:
- Bottled water, Flashlights/battery powered lantern
- Fully charged cell phone
- Non-perishable food items
- Essential medications
- Essential items for babies or elderly people with special needs
By keeping abreast of weather conditions and having the right items on hand, you will be better prepared for severe weather activity.
Drive Safe and Stay warm